Who we are
TEDxGateway is a global community — and so is our team. We’re headquartered in Mumbai, but the collaborative and global nature of our work means we have team members, advisors and volunteers worldwide.
Department: Speaker Research & Curation
About the initiative
TEDxGateway is a platform for ideas that are changing the world! It is the largest TEDx Conference in India and one of the largest in the world!
Termed as the ‘Epicentre for ideas & impact’ by the media; The annual conference (estd. 2010) brings together 20+ speakers & 3000+ attendees hosted across multiple venues with over 50+ global simulcasts. The conference team curates individuals with powerful ideas and stories that impact influencers, government, civic bodies, and thought leaders across multiple spectrums.
Every year we look for bright individuals from across the country to add to our core team & community as full-time team members or part-time volunteers at our office in Mumbai.
The TEDxGateway Recruitment program attracts individuals (In Full time, Part-time/Volunteer Capacity) from India and across the World. We have limited spots available for this program and we choose on a first-cum-first serve basis. So Apply Now.
- For Professionals – Relevant professional expertise and experience is a must for joining the team full-time.
- For Internship – Deserving candidates who join as interns will be absorbed into full-time roles (if available) after work evaluation.
- A highly organized, confident self-starter with professional demeanor and strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- A desire to build and nurture healthy internal and external relationships
- Organized, self-sufficient, hands-on DIY orientation, trustworthy and reliable
- Thrives on multitasking
- Can work in a small flat team without a support team
- A love and respect of data and analytics, reporting and insights
- An ability to independently research and prospect using a variety of techniques including online research and face-to-face networking
- Proactive and goal oriented with strong willingness to learn and constantly improve
- Excellent capacity to learn quickly, think on the fly and self-teach as required
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Comfortable in a startup-like environment, where everyone wears multiple hats and priorities regularly shift, to keep pace with rapid industry changes and organization growth
- A passion for educational systems, learning and a broad interest in the world – including science/technology, design/architecture, global development, entertainment/arts – are big pluses
- Executes their job with a sense of humor and eye for detail
- Prioritize and structure workflow for short and long-term needs and execute against these goals, all while keeping multiple teams informed as each project progresses.
For Content Curators:
You need to love research and writing and feel a personal stake in the future of science, design, technology, politics, philosophy, art, and/or pop culture, and demonstrate bona fides in one or two of those fields. This is not necessarily about what you majored in — we’re looking for deep personal interest.
For Marketing & Sponsorship Candidates:
Solid understanding of core marketing principles + Comfort in developing and selling creative, abstract ideas to senior corporate executives
Once selected – the team will organize an orientation, training, and briefing for your role with the TEDxGateway team. Prior volunteering experience with conferences and events an added plus. Only shortlisted volunteer applicants will be contacted for an interview. Putting together an event of the scale (main conference, multiple pre & post events and activities, hours of speaker curation, ++) and quality (millions of views on our talks + credible global impact) of TEDxGateway requires several thousand hours of volunteer effort, from a team of around 35 people + 100s on-day volunteers. Just like any small organization/startup, everyone has a specific, defined role they are responsible for (we’re big on responsibility) plus they dabble with other activities they find interesting (Yes, we are a fan of the 80:20 Google Rule!). Of course, everyone also pitches in where and how they can if help is needed. Our team is actively looking for multi-skilled members that want to make a big difference with their efforts with us.
Core Team Responsibilities
The leadership roles we refer to as “core team” require a significant level of effort – demand varies across the year. The core-team is responsible in tying in all efforts to build the mammoth annual conference, along with other events like TEDxGatewayWomen, TEDxKids, TEDxYouth, TEDxAdventure and any opportunity that drives great ideas to a greater community through the TEDx platform.
We are interested in interviewing students (under-grads), fresh graduates, professionals (looking for full time opportunities). Keep in mind – core team members have to work full time (Mumbai based) and it’s difficult to make part-time vacancies unless you convince us that you are brilliant in what you do!
On-Day / Event Specific Volunteers
We usually also recruit a team of more general volunteers for our On-the-day Team as well as a number of specific tasks before the event/week. We shall open applications for the same in September. Keep watching this space for more info on those roles. Or email us at: email@example.com
Note: If you take on a core team role, you’ll be committing to a year-long involvement with TEDxGateway, potentially for several hours each week. There are regular week and weekend meetings to attend.
TEDxGateway provides a multiverse of opportunities to its team members, volunteers, and alumni. We plan some cool and interesting off-sites too! (Ahmedabad 2015, Mysore 2016, etc, Hyderabad 2017) And multiple speakers & partner meetups, tech demos, private musical performances in office and other places – just for the team! We work directly with some of the biggest MNCs & corporations in India and create content all through the year for our events and activities. They love our efforts and support us!